Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sidewalk


The thing about the Sidewalk bar is that it's very dark, the restaurant section is on the corner of the building and has lots of light but the bar always felt like you were hiding from the world, which was very appropriate for me at that time. The happy hour was the main attraction since I was really broke during those days. Brooklyn larger was $4 and being able to get two for the price of one was all the encouragement I needed. It was a very odd phase of my life being without direction or ambition, what a difference a decade makes.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Wonderful mood in this piece.

Matthew Brehm said...

I think of all your bar sketches, this is my favorite thusfar - the use of silhouette, and the complimentary colors of blue and orange on the right ... very nice work!

Nicole said...

I like it :D It looks like one of those bars where only the regulars go and they all stare if you're new???? Maybe i'm wrong! :D

How are you guys??? xxx

Unknown said...

Many of us get into that state of mind Stephen. Thank goodness there is always art.

emikk said...

Sure looks like the bartender can slide a pint right to you!

Anita Davies said...

Great sketch and most interesting read, thanks for sharing both!

Stephen Gardner said...

Elizabeth- Thanks, it's a moody kinda of bar.

Matthew- I'm glad you like this one, I'm trying to do more with less.

Nicole- It certainly is a regulars bar, we're fine, how are you?

Sheila- Thank goodness for art indeed. It's been quite a trip down memory lane spending time in these places.

Emikk- That he could and that he did.

Anita- So much more to say about that time, it's opening quite a can of worms.

I might need some couch time after this project.

suzanne cabrera said...

I love this drawing, and the one filled with people, after it. It's nice to compare notes...

I'm always leaved your blog feeling so inspired. Thank you!